At 09:30 AM 9/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> For someone to want to restore a men only institution could well be a
> desire to return to misogyny, but it might not. I'm not sure that we
> should immediately assume they're
>
> just a bunch of scumbag racists. And sexists. And almost
> certainly anti-Semites.

I can't expect someone in Australia to understand the dynamic of the American
South, just as I can't be expected to understand Australian social dynamics.
Let me assure you, the men proposing to start this new "Southern Military
Institute" are definitely racist and sexist, and based on what I know of similar
people, I have no doubt they harbor anti-Jewish feelings too.

As far as people saying, "Well, I didn't cause the previous discrimination,
so why should I be discriminated against?" - funny, innit, how these people
never PROTESTED the previous discrimination either? How they never said a word
AGAINST discrimination until they became (in their own self-pitying minds)
victims? You get (up here, at least) racist scum like Trent Lott and Strom Thurmond
and Jesse Helms and Bob Barr who not once in their lives ever said a single
word against Jim Crow, and have even benefitted politically from pandering to
the racist resentment of the good ol' boys, but who get all hot and bothered by
what they call "reverse discrimination." In my eyes, they would at least have
a tiny semblance of moral authority if they had ever, even once, sincerely
condemned the racism and discrimination they themselves once publicly exhibited,
and basically still do, even if they try to dissemble when they think no one
from the New York Times is listening.

People who say, "Well, racism is bad, but I didn't do it, and reverse
discrimination is worse," to me know nothing about real discrimination (and have a
responsibility to learn), don't really object to racism, and are basically
selfish, self-pitying, mean-spirited immature little creeps who need a scapegoat to
blame for their own problems. And politicians who pander to them are even
worse; it's a lot easier just to tell these jerks that they're 100% right and all
their problems are someone else's fault than it is to take responsibility for
not doing anything to help anybody, for not owning up to and truly repenting
for their own racist pasts (and, in most cases, racist presents), and for
attempting to lead the way toward true reconciliation for everyone.

Tom Beck

Tom knows all! Tom sees all! He knows the evil that dwells in men's hearts. Who are you to question his views? He is right now, he has always been right in the past, and he will forever be right in the future.

He just forgot to mention Robert Byrd, George Wallace, Jesse Jackson...oh he can't be racist, he's black.

Kevin T. - VRWC
No more tears