On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:32:06PM -0000, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
> Answer:
>
> 1) Backup data
> 2) F&W Windows XP. WARNING: when it asks if you want to convert
> to NTFS [Non Transparent to Free Software?] tell it to go to hell

Forgot to reduce the Windows XP partition. It will let you make a
smaller than full size partition during the XP install.

> 3) Install Linux. When it doesn't partition the disk automatically,
> reduce _manually_ the size of the Windoze [FAT!] partition, then
> create the /boot partition manually, and then tell it to do the rest
> automatically

No need to reduce anything if you do a re-install like you said.

> 4) Spend the next 30 hours installing Linux packages that the idiotic
> Linux installation didn't think necessary [like C compiler]

Sounds like Connectiva sucks. I use Debian with apt-get, and installing
packages is literally effortless. Want a compiler? type "apt-get install
gcc" and it is installed. Want to install gnumeric (spreadsheet), but
you don't have all the gnome libraries installed? No problem, just type
"apt-get install gnumeric" and all the libraries and gnumeric will be
automatically installed.

If you want to try Debian, I would suggest you use LibraNet which is
just Debian with a friendlier install and front-end. It is Canadian
Debian :-) at http://www.libranet.com/

> Steps 1-3 take about 2 hours, and require you to be constantly
> changing CDs

Hmmm. Not for me. Windows XP took a long time, it seemed to me (I didn't
time it, but it was at least 30min, maybe 45min). But when I installed
Linux, that only took about 20min.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/