<snip>

That's a good question.  As Doug has pointed out, language is a system.  I
like to think of the metaphor of idea space where the words both defines
the space and is embedded in the space.  If one includes math as a
language, there is a strong arguement that there are no ideas apart from
language.  Indeed most people who state "I have a great idea, I just can't
put it into words" actually have a vauge idea they think is great, that may
even have the potential to be great, but isn't fleshed out.

<and snip>
Dan M.

We are probably talking about different things, but I have to disagree with this. There have been many times where I can see exactly how to fix a problem, or do something different; but cannot put it into words at all. There'd be a click and the solution would slide right in to my head, and more than once I was actually speechless. I've had to make drawings or do some other non-verbal communication, if the answer was needed right now! and my co-workers were going down the wrong (idea) path. But after a few times those working with me knew I was on (to) something when I got that way.

Seriously, I have no trouble speaking to people, even though I am shy...or reserved. But at those times it'd be like running through a field, and suddenly coming upon a chasm.

Luckily I have no time stress with my current job. For my current project I was getting no traction, I knew what I wanted, but couldn't do the code. My bosses asked me more than once how I was doing, because they can look and see what I've written so far. I just had five days of training on another job function, I got back to my desk at 11:30 and wrote my three programs in four hours with no breaks. The ideas were there, I just had to clear the field to get them to come out. (and listen to HR/HM cranked a little too loud).

Kevin T. - VRWC