--- Chad Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[I wrote]

> >I think that 'local hot spots' will cause disease
in
> >those who live in them, but probably little
> otherwise;
> >yet the use of DU munitions in heavily populated
> areas
> >is irresponsible to me, particularly in view of
> >genetic damage and placental passage.  Baghdad has
> >thus become an experiment in DU effects, both
> >short-term and long-term.
>
> Before you make this judgement, I would like to
> point you to
> http://www.angelfire.com/mo/radioadaptive/

<grin>
Hey, *I* posted something about 'radiation hormesis'
including at least one PubMed abstract early this year
(or late last)!  I even compared it to the
(_well-documented_) adaptive/'toughening' effect of
gut bacteria on the mammalian immune system. (Sorry,
but I don't recall the thread - no doubt something
about radiation.  <pout>  You mean to say that you
don't read everything I post with eagerness and great
attention?!  Golly gee willikers, Chadster...  ;} )

But that does not alter the problem of *chemical*
toxicity, nor the long-term potential effects on
children who play in dirt/soil heavily contaminated
with DU, especially if, as noted in several of the
abstracts posted this thread, DU _accumulates_ in
organs like liver, kidney and bone.

> There is a lot of contraversy about the health
> effects of radiation, good or
> bad. Before you judge DU's effects, you should
> solidify whether or not
> radiation is truly harmful. I'm not saying Radiation
> or DU is good or bad. I
> know that DU can be "ammo" for bashing the
> millitary. People are afraid of
> Radiation, and some use its alledged health benefits
> as a way to promote nuclear power.

We evolved in an environment with background
radiation, so it makes sense that organisms should be
adapted to repair the damage it causes, just as we
have evolved mechanisms to take care of free radical
damage and oxidative damage.  It even makes sense that
being 'challenged' by rather higher levels 'weeds out'
the less-fit and/or strengthens the already-fit.

But evidence that high levels of radiation cause
cancer and genetic damage is strong - I will try to
find that post in the archives later, although I may
not have time today.  Off the top, however, are
uranium miners with lung and I believe other cancers,
thyroid cancer in people who were treated with
radiation for thyroid nodules and/or acne (which was
stopped as 'therapy' before 1960 IIRC), and various
'secondary' cancers arising in those
treated for 'primary' cancer with radiation (and also
certain chemotherapeutics, which after all are
essentially toxic poisons).  And there's the classic
radium watch-face painter's tongue cancer (from
licking the brush to get a fine point - no longer
done, of course!).  I don't recall if the children who
played with material from improperly-disposed-of
medical radiation equipment (cesium? incident in
Mexico or Central America? early 90's?) just got
radiation poisoning, or went on to develop cancer.

> Some references for you:
> DOE study effects on Nuclear Dock Workers - DOE
> report DE-AC02-79 EV10095, 1991

<grimace>  Forgive my skepticism of research that
comes out of government agencies that have a definite
agenda -- working at VAs has been - disconcerting, and
often downright infuriating.  Ref my post on
cerivastatin (Baycol) from the VA [agenda: cheaper].

> RERF Report No. 8-99
> Longevity of atomic-bomb survivors
> Cologne JB, Preston DL
> Lancet 356:303-7, 2000
> Other studies suggest otherwise.

I don't think I linked to any studies about the
Japanese survivors b/c we were talking about nuclear
power rather than actual A-bombs (although perhaps we
also were discussing 'dirty' bombs?) - but I'm
reasonably sure that several cancers are higher in
such people, and possibly their children.

In that earlier post I also referenced several more
studies that found that people living in areas of
higher background radiation had lower or at least no
more cancer rates than others in low-rad backgrounds
(a good one was from India; a bad one from China, in
that they calculated rather than actually went around
and measured levels -- IIRC, the Chinese one was about
a mining area population).

I also posted data that showed that as little as *1-2
rads* in-utero exposure increase the risk of leukemia
(which is why we try so hard *not* to X-ray women who
are - or potentially are - pregnant).

Debbi
who hopes the Great Brin-L Archives are 'searchable'
rather than just 'reviewable'