Kevin Tarr wrote:

Not looking to spend a lot of money, but it'd be a good Christmas gift. She has a regular coffee maker, but doing just one cup is tough.

What about a Bodum - do you have them there? Has a clear "pot" where you throw the ground beans in and fill with boiling water (though I prefer a touch of room temperature water first to avoid scalding the beans). Then after the beans have had some infusion time, you push down the plunger which has a mesh filter in it to push all the suspended and undissolved beans etc down to the bottom (below the filter), so you can pour the coffee into the cup. They come in all sizes including single cup. I love it - simple, easy to clean, no waste.

Cheers
Russell C.