"G. D. Akin" wrote:

> I wonder how many of you read any of Andre Norton's early SF works (in the
> 50's, 60s).  She's known much more fantasy than SF, but she's written some
> pretty good SF.
>
> She wrote two books about a Native-American who had a telepathic connection
> with animals.  The books were "Beastmaster"* and "Lord of Thunder."
>
> Ms. Norton, collaborating with Lyn McConchie, recently released "Beast
> Master's Ark."  While this is a not great SF, it is a quick, fun read,
> especially so if you grew up reading her early SF, Heinlein juveniles, etc.
>
> She also wrote a number of books in her Ross Murdock "Time Trader" series.
> In the past few years, she has added (in colloboration) a couple more books
> to that series as well.  Pretty good, easy to read.
>
> If you want to recall your early, formative years of SF and you remember
> those early Norton books fondly, you will enjoy the trip down memory lane
> and new adventures with old friends.

Not sure what the publication date was, but the first Andre Norton I
read was _Octagon Magic_, which my father handed to me when I was 11 or
so.  I really enjoyed it.

(And on stuff my father handed me to read because he thought I'd enjoy
it, the first Vernor Vinge I ever read was _The Witling_.)

        Julia