At 08:40 AM 11/2/03 -0500, Jim Sharkey wrote:

Erik Reuter wrote:
>Jim Sharkey wrote:
>> Even a place like DC that has a great public transportation
>>system in the Metro winds up with loads of traffic.
>In Jersey, there just aren't enough train lines to live next to
>unless you just want to commute to New York or Philly, in which
>case, I'd rather live in New York or Philly anyway!

That's understandable. However, the desire to live in cities changes in many people as they get older, get married, and raise children. At that point, they have to go somewhere. And NJ is no worse a choice than Long Island, Westchester, and etc. And as Tom pointed out, those aren't convenient either.

You really can't compare a subway system to suburban rails anyway. I don't see them as the same animal. Even the Metro, which I've already spoken well of, has limited suburban stops.

Can anyone cite me an example of good public transportation *into* a metropolitan area?

I'm not sure what you mean by "good public transportation" here. If you mean for getting commuters in to the city in the morning and back out to their homes some distance away at night, I was under the impression that New York City probably had the best such system in the country. Is that not what you mean, or is my impression incorrect?

What is really a problem with relying on public transportation in many cities I have lived in/near is when neither your home nor your job site is right downtown. Instead of a 30-minute drive directly from your house to your office (or whatever), you have take a bus that takes the better part of an hour to get downtown, then wait there sometimes for an hour or more for another bus that will take an hour to get you back out to the vicinity of where you work. If you're lucky, you get to leave home about 5 am in order to get to work by 8. If you're not lucky, the first bus of the morning which goes past your home does not get downtown until the only bus going out to the area where you work has already left, so you are simply SOOL if you don't have a reliable car . . .

-- Ronn! :)