I've heard conservative commentators quote "reputable polling companies" as
indicating that the people of Iraq favor US involvement.  I've read that
Cheney quoted a Zogby poll as indicating this favorable response.  Yet,
when I searched for the poll, I got this result.

http://www.taemag.com/docLib/20030905_IraqpollFrequencies.pdf

The US will help Iraq over the next 5 years: 35%
The US will hurt Iraq over the next 5 years: 50%

I also saw results from the Christian Science Monitor that indicated a
strong swing (i.e. becoming a significant majority) towards the belief that
the US is an occupying, not a liberating force.

I'm not arguing against the viewpoint that the goal of the US is to get a
stable, representative government that can maintain security in as soon as
possible, and then step back and be no more than the quite bulkward against
inappropriate uses of force (as we did in Europe).  I fully agree that's
the goal in Iraq.  However, the perception in Iraq is a reality; the
reality I wish to adress with this post.

Dan M.