On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Gary Nunn wrote:

> During my somewhat painful trip to Wal-Mart today (see other email) I
> ran across a gift line that has to be the ultimate in tacky and
> thoughtlessness:  Pre-wrapped Christmas gifts.  Stupid ones at that.
> Ceramic pigs sitting on their ass wearing aprons. And just to complete
> the series, other ceramic farm animals sitting on their asses wearing
> various cute clothes - all pre-wrapped. Simply purchase, rip off the
> surrounding paper band with the picture, price and UPC, and fill out the
> already attached gift tag. Instant tacky and thoughtless gift !!

Yewg.  I much prefer to give carefully-selected IP (books or CDs, mostly,
although sometimes DVDs).  Only problems I've had on *that* lately are my
parents-in-law, so I fall back to clothing or something for them.

I prefer to be thoughtful.  :)

> Not for the stupid gifts....Compliments of JC Penny, just in case you
> really wanted to know what your dog is trying to tell you...
>

> NEW! Bow-LingualR Dog Translator
> $99.99 As seen on the Today Show!
>
> What's pestering your pooch?
>
> Find out with the Bow-Lingual translator! It analyzes your dog's bark to
> determine which of his six emotions he is feeling. Whether your dog is
> happy, sad, frustrated, on-guard, assertive or needy, the Bow-Lingual
> will provide a phrase based on the emotion, to let you know what he is
> trying to say. As your pet's advocate and best friend, you not only want
> to make sure your dog is healthy and safe, but that he's happy too!
> The Bow-Lingual features include:  see link below for complete ad....

OK, I can tell by body language, and once I've been around the dog while
it was barking to note body language, I can tell just by the sound of the
bark.  If you can't be bothered to do *that*, should you really have a
dog?

> Now if someone made a translator collar for women, I would consider
> buying that :-)

Oh, but then we couldn't keep you guessing.  >:)

Seriously, sometimes *I* don't understand other women.  Dunno if a
translator collar is the way to go, though -- maybe something smaller,
discreet, along the lines of a hearing aid?

        Julia