On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Erik Reuter wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 08:34:40PM -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:
>
> > processing between the animal and the mug.  There's a very important
> > *vegetable* involved, why not use the term "different vegetable"?
>
> But it is NOT a different vegetable. Or nut or whatever. As I said, the
> instant mix DOES contain cocoa (albeit "processed" with "alkali"). You
> could make your own instant mix out of Hershey's cocoa, sugar, and dry
> milk. Would this taste much different than hot chocolate made from
> Hershey's cocoa, sugar, and milk from a carton? A little, obviously, dry
> milk tastes a little different from milk from a carton. But this is
> really silly, and none of this is answering my question which was not
> meant to be silly, so I'll stop replying now.

OK.  I was just trying to throw some levity into a situation that was
looking a little tense.

And yes, the difference *is* in how the stuff coming out of the cow is
processed.

I think the taste difference may be more apparent to some people than
others.  I've seen that sort of thing happen with other food items -- my
mother can tell the difference between "ultra-pasteurized" half-and-half
and stuff that's been pasteurized with a gentler process (and which has a
shorter shelf life), and my sister can't.

All I know about the difference in hot chocolate is that if I use real
milk and heat it and add cocoa and sugar, I may be flirting with gastric
distress later, and if I use the instant powdered stuff, I'm a lot less
likely to have problems.

And better data on the cocoa would be nice, yes, to tell those of us who
use the instant mix just what sort of benefit we get.

Now, if I list the information on my herbal tea, will someone be able to
figure out what sort of anti-oxidant benefits *it* has?  It's special
stuff, medicinal herbal tea, that's supposed to help with lactation.  It
isn't hurting, at any rate, but I'm not drinking quite as much as the
packaging indicates I ought to.

        Julia