On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

> At 10:31 PM 11/9/03 -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:

> > > But it is NOT a different vegetable. Or nut or whatever. As I said, the
> > > instant mix DOES contain cocoa (albeit "processed" with "alkali"). You
> > > could make your own instant mix out of Hershey's cocoa, sugar, and dry
> > > milk. Would this taste much different than hot chocolate made from
> > > Hershey's cocoa, sugar, and milk from a carton? A little, obviously, dry
> > > milk tastes a little different from milk from a carton. But this is
> > > really silly, and none of this is answering my question which was not
> > > meant to be silly, so I'll stop replying now.
> >
> >OK.  I was just trying to throw some levity into a situation that was
> >looking a little tense.
> >
> >And yes, the difference *is* in how the stuff coming out of the cow is
> >processed.
> >
> >I think the taste difference may be more apparent to some people than
> >others.  I've seen that sort of thing happen with other food items -- my
> >mother can tell the difference between "ultra-pasteurized" half-and-half
> >and stuff that's been pasteurized with a gentler process (and which has a
> >shorter shelf life), and my sister can't.
>

> At least no one has brought up "Coke" versus "Pepsi" . . .

I prefer one to the other, but not by a whole lot these days.

There was a Bloom County cartoon that characterized both as tasting like
malted battery acid.

I want cherry syrup in my cola these days.

Although I might be able to drink RC straight now.  Not planning on
finding out anytime soon, but maybe in a couple of months.

        Julia