On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 05:45:01PM -0800, Deborah Harrell wrote:

> This answers the question about whether the antioxidant totals in the
> cocoa study I posted earlier are per 'pure powdered cocoa' or 'as
> drunk:' http://www.brightsurf.com/news/nov_03/ACS_news_110603.php

Thanks for posting that, Debbi!

> "Researchers at Cornell University have shown that the popular winter
> beverage contains more antioxidants per cup than a similar serving
> of red wine or tea and may be a healthier choice...Their study,
> which they say is the most complete comparison to date of the total
> antioxidant content of these three popular beverages, will appear in
> the Dec. 3 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a
> peer-reviewed journal of the American Chemical Society, the world's
> largest scientific society....The beverages tested included a cup of
> hot water containing two tablespoons of pure cocoa powder,

Have you ever met anyone who makes hot chocolate without SOME form of
milk? Whole, 2%, skim, dry milk, something besides water? Darn ivory
tower research! :-)

> Note that there was no milk in the tested liquid; there has been
> some research suggesting that milk proteins might reduce the
> bioavailability of tea antioxidants, so it is possible that the same
> holds for cocoa antioxidants.  I think I can live with that.

I think I get it, in parallel with Hollywood producers and movies, these
guys want to squeeze as many publications as possible out of their hot
chocolate idea.  Next, for the sequel paper, what is the difference in
health benefits between milkless hot chocolate and hot chocolate made
with milk?

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/