At 11:00 PM 11/15/03 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>At 08:59 PM 11/14/03 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>In a message dated 11/13/2003 11:55:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> > Agh - I am surrounded by sick sigmas. My hospital has a major deal with
>> GE to buy almost everything that uses electricity from them. Part of the
>> deal is that they teach us management skills so I am Six Sigmad CAP
>> (Change acceleration projected_ and Worked Out.
>

>Ronn wrote-
>FWIW, the quote about 3.4 errors/million came from the GE intro page which
>popped up in a Google search.
>
>Admittedly, I was wondering why you were looking for the info, given what I
>know of your profession.  I wondered if perhaps someone had come up with a
>six-sigma program for the medical profession, e,g., a goal that there would
>be no more than 3.4 negative outcomes per million hospital admissions, or
>something . . .

I am going to be doing some work for a company that uses Six Sigma,
and need to have a basic understanding of the principles/process.
Lately, I am not always in a place to be on the computer and have
several hours where a book fills the time nicely.

So much for my suggestion.

From what I have
read so far the Six Sigma approach can be applied to manufacturing,
admin or service sectors.

If you recall your basic statistics class, it is based on the idea that all errors less than six standard deviations ("six sigma") from the mean can be eliminated.

Healthcare is considered service sector
and reality is that it is a business.  Quality is harder to measure
in hospitals, etc- for instance it is difficult to determine productivity
all the time with people who are not predictable, or varying
perceptions of quality or patient care.... widgets are quite a bit
more predictable.  I don't usually work in conventional hospital
settings, and spend more time than the average PT "in" industry.

I had a chance to spend time doing some teaching this spring
at a hospital in Maryville, MO, where they did something neat.
They are the first health care group to receive the Baldrige Quality
Award (not that I knew what that was until they told me- it is
usually given to manufacturing, etc).  This is a small hospital,
but they were incredible- housekeepers making sure patients
were comfortable, ER with less than 15-30 min wait, and they
were starting "on demand meals" (think room service).
The staff didn't grumble or think this was out of the ordinary-
talk about a quality culture.  Maybe 3.4 is not such an
off the wall thing (grin).

My smart-aleck response was of course referring to "negative outcome" as it is used as a euphemism in the medical profession: i.e., only 3.4 patients out of a million die or are not cured . . .

As Of This Month I've Been Waiting 22 Years For A "Cure" Or At Least An Effective Treatment Maru

-- Ronn! :)