Julia Thompson wrote:

Oh, and if you're trying to avoid looking, don't look at the floor. You don't want to look at the floor.

Look at your hand as it's being mauled. ;)

And a coda to the "don't look down" advice - this is REALLY important in a Caesarian birth...

I had no trouble with the natural birth of my daughter, it was all so wondrous I didn't even notice the rest of it, but when Alistair was "extracted" it all happenned so quickly, calmly and quietly I wasn't even vaguely expecting it, and the movement attracted my eyes around the little "screen" thingy.
Mostly I saw a gloved hand raised with a pair of tiny ankles gripped between finger and thumb, but there was also peripheral view of the rest of the table.

Cheers
Russell C.