--- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If these folks were to tell me, for reasons X,Y,Z,
> Halliburton actually
> made a lot less than they expected to from the Iraq
> contracts, then I'd be
> inclined to believe them...since they've given me
> good information in the
> past.  However, I will not accept reports that have
> often not reflected the
> true profitability of an operation as valid without
> evidence that standard
> operating procedures have not been followed.
> Particularly, when the buzz I
> get from people who are in the field and are
> thinking of doing business in
> Iraq is that the potential for profits there are
> enormous.
>
> Dan M.

I've heard the same (that the profit potential is
enormous).  Note that this is not a bad thing - it
_should be_ enormous.  Working in Iraq is a risky
thing to do right now.  We are also asking people
working in Iraq to work under extreme time pressure.
People in the CPA routinely work 100 hour weeks, as do
the contractors there.  Both of those things are
expensive.  The market is _supposed to_ reward outsize
risk with outsize profits, and doing things quickly is
always expensive.  The question is not - "Are
companies making outsize profits in Iraq?"  No
responsible company would go into Iraq unless that
potential exists.  The question is, "Are companies
getting deals at higher than the market price?"  Of
that there is no evidence whatever, and considerable
evidence to the contrary.  In fact I know of no one
who understands the governemnt procurement system who
thinks that the contracts have been - or _could be_ -
awarded unfairly.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]