From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Science Fiction In General
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:24:15 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 10:42 AM

> King is a mediocre writer, who occasionally achieves a golden moment
or two.
> I often find myself thinking of how he has sold as many books as he
has. Of
> course he caters to the masses, but then again what professional
writer
> doesn't? Given that, I must assume that people are for the most part
not as
> bright as I might give them credit for!<lol> It's a fine line....
>
> -Travis "tread it carefully" Edmunds

Its kinda useful to put IMO somewhere in a statement like that,
otherwise one comes off as an elitist snob. <G>

I genuinely think, that in a place such as this, one doesn't have to explicitly state that an opinion rendered is ones own...

As for coming off as an "elitist snob", I must apologize for not apologizing in the first place, for the fact that, at times I can be one...<lol>

I've read every King book as they were published over the last 30 something years. And I chuckle a bit when I read statements like this. Remember Dickens was subject to exactly the same kinds of criticism you make and so were many books that are now considered "classics".

A nice, if not relevant comparison. Don't tell me however that King is in the same league as Dickens.

King, like most of us is a child of the television era, and like many of us, grew up watching horror movies. This is strongly reflected in his writing and the smell of matinee popcorn wafts from every page.

Pure gold in words. I really like that.

Most of the complaints concerning Kings writing come from people who
aren't interested in the subject matter in the first place. "I don't
really like this stuff, therefore it is inferior to the stuff *I*
like, and that should be quite obvious to anyone who is not an idiot."

If I personally, were not interested in the subject matter of Kings' work, I would not have indulged myself in it in the least.

They say there is no accounting for taste. But it is just a fact of
life that you *do* have to take taste into account.

xponent
Have I Seemed To Have Been In A Ranting Mood Lately? Maru
rob

And so I do Robert. I do not judge people who read King (I put in the whole "people not being bright" thing to elicit a response which worked wonderfully) as that is a matter of pure taste. I do however judge King himself, and render a verdict of which you already know. And it's more than just pure taste or raw opinion. King is without a doubt a mediocre writer.(See actual definition of "mediocre")

-Travis "sometimes I am not to be taken 100% literally" Edmunds