On 7 Jan 2004, at 3:49 am, Doug Pensinger wrote:

I think King has his brilliant moments and he has his duds.

Most likely. He also tries more different things than many writers which means there can be more differences of opinion about which ones are the brilliant and the duds :)

<snip>

There was one forgettable book, i forget the title, that involved kids and a scary clown and a sewer system or something under the town that of course blew up at the end of the story, taking most of the town with it (they made a mini series out of it I think) that was just terrible. Stupid - threw it across the room when I finished it. IMO, of course.

Now I liked _IT_ - I thought it was one of his better ones. The one I thought was worst - I couldn't even finish it (in fact I could barely start it) - was The _Tommyknockers_.

So anyway, I don't think that you can dismiss King as a hack. He has his moments, and I think some of his work will stand for a long time. Like Dickens'.

Why can't he be a hack *and* some of his work will stand for a long time?

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Aerospace is plumbing with the volume turned up." - John Carmack