On Sunday 2004-01-11 00:04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Plans in the Pentagon are not the same thing as plans in the White House. I
> think the point is not that the Defense Dept. was doing its job but that
> the newly installed Bush administration was thinking about invading Iraq
> months before Sept. 11 gave them what they would use as an ostensible
> reason. Given that Dubya's entire presidency is basically about doing stuff
> his father couldn't, this does not surprise me.

I like Thomas Friedman's idea that GW Bush's presidency is *NOT* Bush II, but
Reagan III, or even better, Regan Squared.

Regan made Goldwater look moderate, the W Bush administration makes Regan look
moderate and Goldwater seem a half-hearted fiscal moderate, social liberal,
big government pragmaticst.