At 08:55 PM 1/11/04, Julia Thompson wrote:
"Ronn!Blankenship" wrote:

> At 09:45 AM 1/11/04, Steve Sloan II wrote:
> >Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know about financial models, but I do know that
> > > judgement, especially when immediate judgement on critical
> > > issues is necessary, is affected by fatigue.  For one thing,
> > > tired people tend to be grumpy people, and may do things
> > > they later regret.
> >
> >I think both of us are looking at this issue from a programmer's
> >viewpoint, where long hours usually *are* a sign of poor planning,
> >either by the managers who didn't hire enough people, or on the
> >software engineering side, where time for completing tasks was
> >severely underestimated.
>
> That's true.  (I'm sure all here have heard the rule for turning project
> time estimates into more realistic predictions:  multiply the estimate by 2
> and change to the next larger time unit, so an estimate of "1 day" is in
> reality likely to take 2 weeks to complete, and an estimate of "two months"
> means it is likely to really take four years . . . and I won't even make
> another reference to "The Mythical Man-Month" . . . )

Ah, but it's an excellent book.  Anyone trying to manage a programming
project ought to read it, IMO, and it's worth reading even if you're
*not* trying to manage programming projects.

I agree! I have praised it so many times on this list that I thought I'd give everyone a break from doing so again. (Someday maybe I should even buy a copy to call my own.)

(Did I ever mention having been on a bus briefly with Brooks?)

No. Anything interesting to report?

> Actually, though, I wasn't thinking of programming examples when I wrote
> the earlier message.  One profession where many people think fatigue is
> frequently the cause of serious (too often, fatal) errors is the medical
> profession.  And as far as tired people being grumpy even if they don't
> want to be, and yelling at the people they really don't want to yell at,
> just ask any new parent, particularly a first-time parent . . .

Yep. What he said....

Julia

There and Doing That (and contemplating the t-shirt) Maru

Probably contemplating *any* shirt without spit-up on it . . .

-- Ronn! :)