--- Jan Coffey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is it not better to do a few thing right thn many
> things wrong?
> Jan

I don't think so, actually.  One of the things that I
think I've learned the last two years (I've written
about this on my blog at greater length) is that the
basic decisions to be made are not, generally, all
that hard.  Sometimes they are - and that's when it's
the most fun.  But usually they aren't.  It's just
that the people involved with making them are too busy
to actually take the time to go over the issues and
make the decision.  The usual thing in business I've
noticed, and in government by anecdote, is that people
are usually putting out fires continually, without the
time to make longer-term strategic decisions.
Consulting companies are often hired, I think, in
order to bring this sort of extra capacity to the
table, not for any particular brilliance of their
employees (any of you who felt that consultants were
particularly brilliant have, of course, been disabused
of that notion over the past couple of years...).  It
is possible to be quite productive at hour 100 of a
week.  It takes time and acclimatization, and not
everyone can do it (there are people at McK - often
very successful ones - who simply refuse to work on
studies of that intensity), but it is certainly
possible.  And people who can do it are, over a span
of time, more productive than people who cannot.  If
you have (for example) one month to present an opinion
on some issue to the CEO of a large pharmaceutical
company, then you had better be really thorough in
what you present.

Surely one large (but often overlooked) component of,
say, the astonishing output of Winston Churchill and
Napoleon (to pick very different figures) is that both
are said to have routinely slept four hours a night.
That's extra time to work that adds up pretty quickly.
 I would be willing to give up quite a lot if I could
get by on four hours of sleep without feeling
constantly tired, as they were able to do.  It is also
often quite necessary.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]