--- The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A18006-2004Jan14?language=printer>>
> Peer Review Plan Draws Criticism
<snippage and pastage>

> ...Under the current system, individual agencies
> typically invite outside
> experts to review the accuracy of their science and
> the scientific
> information they offer -- whether it is the health
> effects of diesel
> exhaust, industry injury rates, or details about the
> dangers of eating
> beef that has been mechanically scraped from the
> spinal cords of mad cows.
>
> The proposed change would usurp much of that
> independence. It lays out
> specific rules regarding who can sit on peer review
> panels -- rules that,
> to critics' dismay, explicitly discourage the
> participation of academic
> experts who have received agency grants but offer no
> equivalent warnings
> against experts with connections to industry. And it
> grants the executive
> branch final say as to whether the peer review
> process was acceptable...

Kinda reminds me of Hillary's desire for lawyers and
non-healthcare professionals to overhaul the
healthcare system* -- I thought that was ignorant at
best, and otherwise underhanded.  Ditto for this,
especially when you read the supporters below.
(*of course non-professionals should have input -- but
_not_ total control)

> ...Of the nearly 200 public comments received by the
> OMB, several call for
> even more sweeping changes. But the political
> dividing lines between
> supportive letters and others is clear. Supporters
> include the National
> Association of Manufacturers, the National
> Petrochemical and Refiners
> Association, Ford Motor Co., the American Chemistry
> Council, the National
> Stone, Sand and Gravel Association (whose members
> include regulated
> mining concerns), and Syngenta, a pesticide company
> that has been in a
> public struggle over data suggesting that one of its
> products may be
> responsible for major declines in frog populations.
>
> Among those filing criticisms is a group of 20
> former federal officials,
> including prominent former regulators from the
> administrations of Richard
> Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush
> and Bill Clinton.
> Among them are former labor secretary Robert B.
> Reich; former EPA
> administrators Russell Train and Carol M. Browner;
> heads of the
> Occupational Safety and Health Administration under
> Carter and the elder
> Bush; and Neal Lane, who was director of the
> National Science Foundation
> under Clinton and head of the White House Office of
> Science and Technology Policy...

It's not that I oppose industry scientists having
equal opportunity to discuss health and environmental
issues, but I object most strenuously to theirs as the
only voice.  Big Business has a mixed-to-very-poor
record when it comes to self-reporting or
self-regulating WRT health matters: tobacco, vinyl
chloride, asbestos, arsenic, lead...

This proposal is just another angle on gutting
envirionmental and public health legislature.  "Peer"
does not mean "hand-selected cronies."

Debbi