rob posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/cgi-bin/common/popupPrintArticle.pl?path=/articles/2004/01/21/1074360813226.html

> Japanese telecom carriers, pioneers of internet-capable and
> picture-snapping handsets, have now come up with the world's first
> mobile phone that enables users to listen to calls inside their
> heads - by conducting sound through bone.

I couldn't find any links with the exact stats, but I remember reading
somewhere that a lot (5% to 10%) of our regular hearing is conducted through
our bones to our ears.  Something like 1% of what we hear comes originally
from our breastbone, and somewhat higher percentages come from our
cheekbones and forehead.  These numbers are all from memory -- perhaps one
of the medically inclined folks on the list might be able to get better (and
more up-to-date) numbers for this?

Also, here's an article about a very similar (but IMO much funnier) phone...

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4414.html

     Go go gadget finger-phone!
     By: Anthony Newman, Friday 12th December 2003, 12:04 GMT

     NTT DoCoMo continue research into sticking fingers in ears at the
     cutting edge of telecoms.

     Japanese cellular provider NTT DoCoMo, pioneers of advanced
     phone features, have managed to create a handset - if one can call
     it that - to redefine the whole telephonic paradigm.

     The FingerWhisper comes close to replicating the instinctive gesture
     for 'call me': little finger at the lips, thumb up to the ear. With the
     DoCoMo design, the user wears a wristwatch which contains the
     phone and its microphone.

     The really interesting bit is that the voice of the caller is
transmitted
     through bone induction by the wristband, and carried to the bones
     of the ear by the wearer's finger. Stick finger in ear, hear voice in
head.

     This is a big step in reducing the size of the handset while not
     compromising voice quality. It also claims to solve issues of hearing
     callers in noisy environments by completely bypassing the ambient
     environment, and also removes the need for buttons, replacing them
     with a morse code-like system of tapping for the execution of phone
     functions.

     The only issue, of course, is how to pass a call over to a friend.

Reggie Bautista