> I interpreted Tom's post as very clearly judging all Christians.   Perhaps
> you saw Tom's post differently?

I hope I don't judge all Christians negatively. Most Christians are appalled
by violence against anyone. Throughout history this has also probably been
true (if it had been otherwise, I doubt there would be many Jews left by now. Not
that there ARE all that many of us, alas.)

But - that does not make much difference. The violence that was done, and not
all that long ago either, was such that Jews still have very good reason to
be suspicious and nervous and on our guard. It does no good to tell us to
forgive and forget. We've been through too much, either directly or through knowing
our history. If we see danger where there is none, that's also a product of
our experience. And Gibson's actions, and his background, don't give us any
reason to relax. He's been acting like he's the one at danger here, like he's
battling mighty, inimical forces. Wanna make a movie about Jesus? It's a free
country. Gibson is free to make his movie - and we're free to criticize him. But
there really is a potential danger here, that some people may be stirred up by
this movie to attack Jews they way they were in the past by viciously
anti-Jewish Passion plays - does anybody here really want us to risk that? It's not
Christians whose asses are maybe on the line here.

Want me not to judge Christians negatively? Stand with us on this. If you're
talking to someone who saw the movie and they start to say something
anti-Jewish based on the movie, don't let them get away with it. I don't think this is
too much to ask.

Tom Beck

www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never dreamed I'd see the
last." - Dr Jerry Pournelle