In a message dated 2/12/2004 11:52:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Recurring discussions on Marx and anti-Semitism have raised some questions
> for me.  My father-in-law's mother's family was Jewish, back in the 1800s.
> They converted to Christianity in that century before emmigrating to the
> US.  Other parts of the family did not convert, and remained in Germany
> until many of them died in the Holocaust.
>
> If I understand that Jewishness passes through the mother, then my
> father-in-law would, technically, be Jewish.

He could claim to be Jewish if he chose to (he could for instance emmigrate
to Israel and become a citizen.

But, he was raised Christian > by folks who were raised Christian.  Could he
> be anti-Semetic?
The fact of his christianity would not make him anti-semitic. If he acted in
a prejudicial way against jews he would be anti-semitic. Anyone can be an
anti-semite even (and not so infrequently) a jew.

Would a > policy of induced conversions: accepting Jews who converted to
> Christianity as full citizens, but persecuting those who don't be anti-Semetic.

Yes of course this would be anti-semitic. And this has happened throughout
history. Famously in Spain where after much pressure many jews converted rather
than face expulsion or death. Ironically these people were then called
converso and many were still prosecuted. Some converted publically but privately
remained jews but most did not. It was out of this that the notion of a "jewish
race" was born. Basically a rationale for persecuting people who claimed to be
christians (not coincidentally often rich people).

Counter example. In 19th century england many jews converted to christianity
including Disraeli (or was it his father). These people moved easily in
society and in many cases made sure their own children stayed Jewish. No one seems
to care very much.

 Would > the Jews who converted and then participated in the persecutions be
> acting
> in an anti-Semetic way.  If they didn't, but their children did, would they
> be anti-Semetic?  What about grandchildren, etc.

Yes to all of the above

> There is a saying in Christianity that no one has faith like a convert.
> People who use to be X, but are now Y are often the strongest in condemming
> those who are still X.  I don't think this is just a Christian phenomenon.
> So, I'd postulate that folks who agree with the premise that its Jewish
> culture that's the problem, not Jewish biology, and that any Jew that
> renounced his/her traditon and accept another way of living (e.g.
> Christianity) are anti-Semetic, even though they will accept people who
> have Jewish ancestory as good folks and their equals.

Not sure what this means.