[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > This was an honest expression of concern and confusion that is shared by
> > many. I suspect and hope that over time people will get used to the idea but
> > for
> > now it does not do the cause of gay union any good to sharply casitgate
> > someone
> > for honestly expressed feelings.
> >

> If you don't confront people and call them on their prejudices, they will get
> the idea that it's okay to feel the way they do. In the long run, that does
> not lead to them abandoning their dislikes. It's easy to walk away when you
> hear someone express feelings of dislike and even hatred based not on knowing a
> particular person but just on the group that person belongs to. How many of us,
> when we hear someone say something negative about "the Jews" or "the blacks"
> or "the Muslims," simply decide to take the easy way out and not cause a
> scene? But how does that advance the cause of increasing rights for all of us? I'm
> not saying jump all over people who express these thoughts, but we also don't
> have to let them think there's nothing wrong with being biased. Because there
> is something very much wrong with it. If we don't object, we are complicit;
> they may even feel we agree with them.
>
> It doesn't have to be vicious or rancorous, but I think we need to let them
> know.

Yes, but it can be done somewhat more gently than how it was done on
this list earlier today.  And doing it more gently will get you a more
positive reaction than immediately jumping down their throat will.
Enough gentle prods will help wear down the prejudices, while sharper
ones will just make people more defensive, and maybe *reinforce* the
prejudices.

        Julia