----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: Thoughts on gay marriage?

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 01:32:45PM -0600, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > Read what he wrote that was unacceptable to you.  He literally said he
> > had no right to impose his feelings, but that wasn't good enough for
> > you.
>
> You're the one that needs to read more carefully. This is what I was
> concerned about:
>
> Jim:
> > Not to +mention my sister is gay, and she and her girlfriend have been
> > together for +some seven to eight years, and if that's what she wants,
> > that what I want for +her.
>
> > But the idea of calling it "marriage" does make me uncomfortable on
> > some vague +level I can't really explain.  Product of my environment, I
> > suppose.
>
> The implication here is pretty strong: the sister can live with her
> girlfriend, but if she calls it marriage, then that could be a problem.

Right, the problem would be that Jim would be uncomfortable.  That is a
problem, because she is his sister.

I think it would be useful in this regard to consider what the difference
between a civil union and a marriage is.  I proposed one possibility that I
have yet to see contradicted.

> Dan again:
> > I think you and I have quite different definitions of rationality.
>
> I don't. But I think you have mental blocks about your occasional
> irrationality.

Whenever I disagree with you?

Dan M.