--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Michael Harney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Suppose that, in an effort to control world overpopulation
> Everyone is free to marry anyone they want from the
> same sex, but not of the opposite sex.  Would you consider
> that "equal protection"?  How would you feel about such a thing?

No, I would not consider it a denial of equal protection.

In addition, I think that there is a large "common law" disparity
between your analogy and the current situation.   Right now, marriage
has always been defined in the United States to refer heterosexual
unions.   As Dan Minette has noted, no matter what else you think
about this issue, you have to concede that what is under
consideration is a profound redefinition of marriage.

A much closer analogy would be a society that had always only
permitted same-sex unions... alas, any such ociety would now no
longer exist.

JDG