In a message dated 2/27/2004 5:41:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> But we don't know _for sure_ if Homo erectus was a race of Homo
> sapies or a different species. There are some hints that it was possible
> to exchange genes from H. erectus to H. sapies - this would place
> the origin of humans back to 1 million years ago.

bob z
the current trend seems to be to view the  hominids of the last millenia as
seperate species. the dna evidence suggests that neanderthal was a seperate
species and erectus was pretty different from sapien. In fact, early sapien may
have been different from the more recent version. We know that there was a
great leap forward about 100,000 years ago when culture possibly related to
language exploded. this probably was the result of some change in the human brain.