In a message dated 2/28/2004 9:45:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Yes, but there are traces of Neaderthal and "Sinanthropus" erectus that
> are similiar to the sapiens populations that came to the region that they
> lived, suggesting that they _might_ have traded genes.

bob z;
it is not clear whether there would be mating. of course just as one hears
occaisonally of man sheep things it is possible that some men of either group
would have forced themselves on women of theother group. but by and large these
would have been men unable to gain access to females of their own group. the
offspring of such unions would probably be disadvantaged socially so i suspect
not much gene transfer occurred - all speculation of course.

> >In fact, early sapien
> >may have been different from the more recent version. We know that there
> >was a great leap forward about 100,000 years ago when culture possibly
> >related to language exploded. this probably was the result of some change
> >in the human brain.
> >
> This time marks the arrival of a new and fiercer predator, that competed
> savagely with the hominids: man itself. But the changes might not have
> been speciation, but only an improvement of the existing species

bob z;
this cuts to the heart of what it means to be a species. the best current
definition is  an interbreding or potentially interbreeding population. if the
cognitive changes in anatomically humans was great enough interbreeding may not
have occurred and they would be seperate species