David Hobby wrote:

>>> However, a base 12 counting system would have been much better;
>>
>> No, it wouldn't
>
>       Well, a little better.

A little worse.

> Depending how you count, you can
> argue that 12 "has more factors" than 10.  This must be worth
> something, since I don't hear anyone pushing for prime bases such
> as 11.  Agreed, it's not a big deal.  It might be more to make a
> number base feel "comfortable" than a great aid in calculations.

The problem with base 12 is that it has _2_ twice and _3_ once
when you factor it, so that the "practical man" rules to check
if a number is divisible by another would get a higher degree
of confusion. Base 6 would be a much better choice than base 12.

I don't see many advantages in base 6 over base 10:
the only one that comes to my mind is that base 10 has simple
rules to check if a number is divisible by 2, 5, 3, 9 and 11; with
base 6, there would be simple rules for 2, 3, 5 and 7; maybe
losing 11 and gaining 7 could count as a minor improvement.

OTOH, base 12 would have simple rules for 2, 3, 4, 6, 11 and 13,
and since the base-10 rules for 4 and 6 are one bit less simple
than the rules for 4 and 6 in base-12, we would _lose_ the
rules for 5 and gain the rules for 13 - which is a bad trade.

Alberto Monteiro who spends his time in the traffic looking at
the numbers of the cars and dividing them by 11.