> From: Robert Seeberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> When I decided to write those, I went to look at a few Haiku
> websites and noted that the "experts" bent the rules whenever
> they felt like it. Not just the seasons but the number of
> syllables too. "Golly gee whilikers" I thought. I can ignore
> rules as good as the next guy.
>
> So I did.
> <G>

Yes, the syllable restrictions don't make a lot of sense in English,
its got a whole different structure to Japanese.

But that's as far as I go!

The satori (enlightenment) is critical, it's the point of haiku for
mine.
And the seasonal reference (kigo) invoke a physicality, a sense of place
that brings it home.
One can be fairly subtle about the seasons bit though.
Those ones about the blue screen of death etc.
I think the sense of season/place is one sitting in front of ones
computer,
and so it works. Keeping it real, so to speak.

Without seasons and a sense of satori, I think it looses its hakuiness.
Not to say its bad, but its not haiku.

There is a name for it, which escapes me right now.

Five, Seven, Five,
A hint of season, then cut.
To Satori.

> Anytime you want to play dueling Haiku, I'll be game. Sounds like fun!
>
> And please ignore the Bear when he calls me Bob. He is just
> teasing me because I told him my name is Rob and "bob" is
> what newlyweds in San Francisco do.

Sorry Rob..