On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 04:52:18PM -0500, John D. Giorgis wrote:

> In any Economics 101 textbook, you will find a concept called the
> "Non-Accelerating Inflation Unemployment Rate", or NAIRU.  This
> is considered by economists to be the lowest sustainable rate of
> unemployment without increasing the rate of inflation.

Not all Ph.D. economists agree:

http://www.hussman.net/html/economy.htm#wageprice

  The belief in a tradeoff between inflation and unemployment is
  both widely held and completely false. On a statistical basis,
  the relationship between inflation and unemployment is actually
  slightly positive; higher inflation is weakly correlated with higher
  unemployment. The relationship is highly significant if we lag
  unemployment by two years. High inflation today is strongly related
  to high unemployment two years later. In contrast, there is no
  statistically significant evidence that low unemployment today is
  followed by high subsequent inflation. There is also no evidence that
  excessive, inflationary credit creation can be used to create jobs.

  The widespread view to the contrary is based on a 1958 Economica
  paper by A.W. Phillips, which presented what has come to be known
  as the "Phillips Curve". Phillips studied the relationship between
  unemployment and wage inflation in Britain using a century of
  data through the 1950's. What he found has a very straightforward
  interpretation: when labor is scarce, the price of labor tends to
  rise. This is a basic fact of economics, and was indeed supported by
  the data presented by Phillips. Moreover, the data Phillips used was
  largely during a period when Britain was under the gold standard, and
  overall price inflation was subdued.

  I've long asserted that the only accurate interpretation of the
  Phillips Curve (which still holds true in the data) is that low
  unemployment is associated with inflation in real wages. Quite simply,
  when workers become scarce, the price of labor tends to rise faster
  than the overall price level.

  Unfortunately, over the past several decades, the idea of the Phillips
  Curve has been twisted beyond recognition. Some economists and the
  public have quite incorrectly come to believe that the Phillips Curve
  is a relationship between unemployment and overall prices. Moreover,
  it is often argued that higher inflation can be pursued as a way to
  create jobs. This is a fascinating distortion of the facts. The true
  Phillips Curve says that low unemployment tends to lead to inflation
  in real wages. The notion that higher overall inflation can buy jobs
  not only drops the words "real wages", but reverses the direction of
  cause and effect.

  In short, when workers become scarce, the price of labor tends
  to rise, relative to the price of other things. There is nothing
  controversial in this. However, the belief that overall inflation can
  buy jobs is simply false. The belief that low unemployment causes
  general prices to rise is also false. Even if wages rise, there need
  not be general price inflation. As long as labor productivity (output
  per worker) is growing, workers can be paid higher wages without
  having to raise output prices.  In addition, wage increases can be
  accommodated by reducing profit margins, rather than by raising
  prices, particularly when profit margins are high.The only way for
  wages (measured in dollars) and overall prices (also measured in
  dollars) to "spiral" higher together is for the government to create
  too many dollars.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/