----- Original Message -----
From: "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 1:08 PM
Subject: Texas Re: Pledge of Allegence

> At 09:18 AM 3/7/2004 -0600 Robert Seeberger wrote:
> >Among the states Texas' history is unique. If you had read any of
it
> >you would not be making that argument. Its quite silly for you to
do
> >so.
> >
> >There is *no* "lost cause" to discuss in regards to the former
> >nationhood of Texas. When Texas became a state, the population
> >*overwhelmingly* voted for statehood. How do you equate that with a
> >lost cause?
>
> And those same people then deposed Sam Houston when he opposed
secession.

> JDG - But Obviously I Haven't Read Any of Texas' History, Maru....

Sure, but that was orchestrated by Mirabeau Lamar (and others), Sam
Houston's most bitter political enemy.

http://texas-on-line.com/graphic/history.htm

A little story about Houston and Lamar to illustrate their enmity:

"Like any person in public life, Houston had enemies. None was quite
as irritating as Mirabeau B. Lamar - a man he disagreed with on almost
every issue. Houston advocated Native American rights'; Lamar worked
to eradicate entire native populations. Houston wanted to avoid the
Civil War; Lamar favored secession. The political rivalry between the
two ---never a secret --became glaringly apparent at Lamar's
inauguration as president of the Republic of Texas in December 1838.
The crowd expected a brief, dignified introduction of the new
president. Instead, Houston came dressed in "George Washington"
attire, complete with nee britches and white wig. He then began a
three hour speech. When Houston finally stepped down, Lamar was too
exhausted to deliver his inaugural address. His private secretary read
it to the inattentive audience. "

And since State Songs were mentioned earlier, here is Texas' and I
note that it reflects the state spirit pretty well.:

Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty State! Texas, our Texas! So
wonderful, so great! Boldest and grandest, withstanding every test; O
empire wide and glorious you stand supremely blest. (Chorus)

Texas, O Texas! Your freeborn single star, Sends out its radiance to
nations near and far, Emblem of freedom! It sets our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo. (Chorus)

Texas, dear Texas! From tyrant grip now free. Shines forth n splendor
your star of destiny! Mother of Heroes! We come your children true.
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you. (Chorus)

Chorus: God bless you, Texas! And keep you brave and strong. That you
may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.

As you can see, we are quite insufferable! <G>

xponent
And Proud Of It <G> Maru
rob