Jan wrote:

> Ritu, I almost let this thread die, or go on without me, but I
> decided that I would answer.

Like you, I debated answering this mail, then I wondered where to start
and then the answer was just so very obvious. I don't know if I would
ever get around to answering some of the points you have raised in your
mail [I am beginning to wonder if there is any point in making the
effort] but there is one glaring misperception which I feel bound to
correct:

> > Oh, nothing to decide there. I am an Indian and have no intention
> of
> > changing my nationality.
>
> Then move back to India, or act like a guest while you are here. You
> don't get to come here and have citizenship and still be loyal to
> India. Well, actually, you do, but that doesn't make it right.

I live in India. I was born here and have lived here ever since.
I am curious - what made you assume otherwise?

> > > You either make a
> > > plege of aligence to this country or you align yourself with
> India,
> > > you should not have the option of having it both ways.
> >
> > Huh?
> > How does the question of pledging allegiance to the US arise?
> > Since when is one required to swear allegiance to a country just
> so that
> > one can hold an opinion on its politics? If that were a
> requirement,
> > most of the world would have sworn allegiance to Iraq over the last
> > year... :)
>
> I know many soldiers who feel that they have in a way.

And do you insist that they can't have it both ways either?
That they need to chose between Iraq and the US?

> I wish you well Ritu, but seriously, supporting the raping of
> America in favor of your old home, is really irritating to me.

I wish you well too, Jan, but I'll admit that your insistence on
couching these issues in terms of rape, stealing, slave-trade and such
is beginning to irritate me as well.

> That
> and it is those supporters like you, that make it look even more
> like a racist issue. Personally I don't want to live and work in a
> racially charged society, I don't want to worry about which friend
> can hang out with which other friend, but I also don't want my
> friends and family out on the street because they were undercut by
> people from another country. As someone who is living in our country
> you have to make the choice to either be American, or be Indian. If
> you're American then get with us and do what is best for America
> because it is open to be your permeate home if you like, But if you
> are Indian, then recognize that you are a guest, and act like one. I
> don't need people like you making life more difficult for my Ex-
> Indian friends and my Ex-Malaysian wife.

People like me?
I think you are confusing me with people like these:
http://blameindiawatch.blogspot.com/

They seem to live in the US and they might be related to the IT industry
too. I don't think they are making it seem like a racist issue though -
I think they are only highlighting an existing trend.

In anycase, the real people like me are Indians living in India who have
nothing to do with the IT industry or any other BPOs and who tend to get
a tad surprised when they find mails in their inboxes telling them that
they are slaves or slave-traders, rapists and thieves, living in an
appalling society and nation.

Do we have problems? Sure. But we are still the same people we were 4-5
years ago...And I can't help but wonder why all this moral outrage at
our culture is lacking when we are perceived as a large, untapped market
instead of a pool of cheaper labour....

Ritu