At 11:47 PM 3/12/04, The Fool wrote:
> From: Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > > Yes.  The IDEA that Freedom of Speech means a
> > person is allowed to say
> > > F**K whenever and whereever they F**KING want to,
> > or need to.
> >
> > Try again.  There is no constitutional protection of
> > your right to say F**K.
>
> Besides the fact that its discourteous to others, who
> may not want to read this, or have it exposed to their

Like I give a flying F**k what you think is right?

Yes, it comes with being a member of a civilization . . .

> children. And again, I would challenge the Fool: You
> say this is against the IDEA of Freedom of Speech, yet
> in no way did you describe what that is, even after
> others (myself included) have shown that our
> interpretation is much different than yours.

You are wrong.  If the words of the amendment don't mean what they say in
when they say in unequivocal terms "Congress shall make no
law...abridging the freedom of speech", then they have no meaning at all
whatsoever.

---
"The whole problem with this idea of obscenity and indecency, and all of
these things — bad language and whatever — it's all caused by one basic
thing, and that is: religious superstition.

The First Amendment also guarantees in unequivocal terms to every American the right to freely exercise his or her own brand of "religious superstition":

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

 ... There's an idea that the
human body is somehow evil and bad and there are parts of it that are
especially evil and bad, and we should be ashamed. Fear, guilt and shame
are built into the attitude toward sex and the body. ... It's reflected
in these prohibitions and these taboos that we have."

-George Carlin on Fascist Censorship

So what do we do when X's right to free speech conflicts with Y's right to freely exercise his or her religion? (You and Mr. Carlin seem to have adequately addressed the converse of that question.) When unequivocal rights conflict, one or the other has to be limited. Does that mean that none of the rights guaranteed in the Constitution have any meaning at all whatsoever?

-- Ronn! :)