I'm not really a "gadget person", but I just acquired a digital cable
box with an integrated Digital Video Recorder (DVR) from my cable
company, for less than I was paying for the digital converter by itself,
and I have to say that it is nothing short of awesome (yes, I am easy to
please this weekend!).

While I do have a programmable VCR, I never use that feature because it
is very touchy and less than reliable.

This DVR uses the online cable guide and one can choose a program, press
one button and the DVR will ask you if you only want that show or the
entire series.  It can record multiple shows simultaneously and you can
change channels while it is recording a show.  You can even pause a
"live" program and resume it after the bathroom break.

When accessing a recorded show, you can see a list of shows saved, right
along with the date, time and synopsis of whatever you are looking at.
You can continue to save the show, commit it to video tape or erase it.
It can hold a total of 40 hours of programming.

I was initially afraid that this would make me into a couch potato, but
instead, it has been liberating. I can record any show, and watch it at
my leisure instead of being tied to the networks programming schedule.

I am somewhat surprised that the networks have not tried to kill this
technology since it allows one to skip right over commercials.

No more missing Enterprise or those late night episodes of Stargate. :-)

Gary