From: Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ADMIN] Call for administrative action
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:52:31 -0800

From my point of view, people indeed have posted messages that fall outside of our guidelines.

They have indeed. But the problem is that certain people are quite cleverly saying that they don't recognize certain guidelines. Spouting such inane comments as, and I'll paraphrase - "I didn't agree to that".

Here's the administrative action that I'll propose -- feel free to offer your own, of course. Let's do a self-audit. If you found recent postings to be outside the guidelines, please send an off-list e-mail to the person who posted the message, saying so. And I urge you to say nothing more -- just copy the message and write that you believe it was outside of the guidelines, period.

<SNIP>

I'm not suggesting that this will put this issue to rest, but I think it's a good first response to list-unrest.

Nick

I think that's a great idea. However it will not be very effective unless the particular person you're e-mailing actually recognizes the guidelines here. Of course you covered yourself by stating in no uncertain terms that this "probably" won't put this issue to rest. But that just leads me to ask a question: If it won't work (and I sincerely doubt that it will) then why bother with it? Unless of course you have some type of unwritten rule, as to how you deal with admin issues on the first response. If not, then I would certainly encourage a more effective response.

-Travis "just a couple of cents" Edmunds