On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:08:56PM -0500, Erik Reuter wrote:

> I haven't had time yet to write up an interpretation of the data, but
> I will post one soon so we can discuss. In the meantime, if anyone
> has any interpretation they'd like to post, please do! It will be
> interesting to see if we draw the same conclusions from the data.

Here is my promised interpretation of the data. I'd be interesting in
hearing alternate ideas.

Dan suggested that there were some structural changes in employment
going on in America after I suggested that most of the current
employment problems were due to overinvestment in the late 90's. After
studying the data, I tend to think there is some merit in both
statements.

First, the structural changes. I looked at two measures of employment,
the establishment survey (non-farm payrolls) and the household survey
(civilian employment). As suggested by the name, the payrolls measure
is more widely accepted; however, the household survey could be a
better measure since it actually surveys households rather than drawing
conclusions from official payroll data. For example, in the recent
booming homebuilding market there are many opportunities for people
to work "off the books" and be paid surreptitiously -- such people
would likely be counted in the household survey but definitely not the
establishment survey.

First look at the employment annualized 3-year trailing growth rates:

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/ce_nfp3.png

It seems the peak rate of growth has been decreasing for the past 30
years (the highest peak was about 4% in 1978, followed by 3.5% in 1986
and 2-2.5% in the latter half of the 90's). To see this more clearly,
look at the 10-yr trailing graph:

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/ce_nfp10.png

where the trend in payrolls is clearly decelerating since 1980, and in
civilian employment the deceleration has been going on since 1973.

I think Dan has a point that there are some structural changes. Peak
rates of growth in employment are not as high as they used to be. An
interesting question is, why? I have a few guesses, but none have much
supporting evidence. What do you think?`

Now look at overall employment, establishment and household
measurements:

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/cpr_ce_nfp.png

The civilian employment is consistently higher than the payroll
employment, as expected. Also note how much better the current
employment situation looks when measured by household surveys (this
is also apparent in the 3-yr trailing growth graph referenced
earlier). This would seem to indicate that there are quite a few
people working "off the books" (some would argue that the household
survey is inaccurate, but I haven't seen any evidence to support such
claims). Also, note that by the household survey, that the current
employment slowdown doesn't appear significantly worse than the slowdown
in the early 80's, nor does it look much different than the slowdown in
the early 90's. In short, it looks cyclical. In the payroll data, the
current slowdown looks unprecedented, so the question hinges on whether
there is indeed a lot more "off the books" employment now than in
previous slowdowns. It certainly seems plausible that there is. I have
anecdotal evidence of a number of construction and homebuilding jobs
happening "off the books". I also suspect there is a lot more unreported
consulting work going on. But this is mostly speculation on my part. If
anyone has any convincing evidence either way, I'd like to hear it.

To make this interesting, I wanted to make a prediction. What will
employment do in the future? I needed a leading indicator. Well, I
didn't have to rack my brains, since I already thought I had one, which
is what started this particular discussion -- investment. Investment
increases productivity down the road. The mechanism is that more
and better capital allows each worker to produce more per hour. And
if productivity increases quickly, then employment does not need to
increase as quickly to maintain a given GDP growth rate. So, I predict
that high investment growth is a leading indicator for lower employment
growth. Here is what I found.

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/nfp_rgdp_pro.png

The above graph plots employment growth and the difference: ( real
GDP growth - productivity growth ). Productivity is measured as total
output per hour of all workers (business sector non-farm output per
hour). The agreement is very good -- this shows that real GDP growth
can be well-modeled as the sum of employment growth and productivity
growth. So, if I can find leading indicators of real GDP growth and
productivity growth, then I should be able to predict employment growth.

If you trust the estimates of potential GDP, then the GDP part is easy:

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/pgdp_gdp.png

Although using this estimate to predict employment is a bit circular,
since potential GDP estimates are mostly based on estimates of future
labor force and productivity, I tend to think it is a reasonable thing
for me to do since their estimates tend to be quite conservative (i.e.,
population growth rates don't tend to change much and productivity
growth long run average has been in the low 2 %'s in America)

Then the harder part is whether productivity growth can be predicted
using investment. I got what I would call "fair" agreement with
historical productivity growth by lagging investment growth by 7-years
and taking one-third of investment growth :

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/pro_inv.png

The 7 year lag between investment growth and productivity growth is
somewhat arbitrary. It seems to fit the productivity rises in 1973,
1992, and 1997 well, the one starting in 1983 is off by a year or two,
and there are some problems in the 60's, around 1981, and the dip in
the late 90's. Clearly there is a correlation, but it is far from
perfect. For some periods, the 7 year lag could be only 3 years. There
is no reason why it would be constant over the decades, since different
types of investments may pay off sooner or later in productivity. Still,
the agreement is good enough that I think it is worth pursuing.

So, the moment of truth. Plotting the difference ( real potential GDP
growth - investment / 3 lag-7-yr growth)

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/emp_pgdp_inv.png

And the prediction? Employment growth doesn't get going again until
2008. Ouch. But as I said earlier, the 7 year lag is somewhat
aribtrary. It could easily be only a 5 year lag this time, and
conceivably it could be as little as 3 years. In other words, the
prediction is quite vague: employment should start to grow again
sometime in the next 4 years. But I'll stand by my original prediction
and put it in the later part of those 4 years.

Incidentally, the overinvestment during the late 90's was severe.
I've seen a lot of evidence of it in the industry I work in (telecom
component supplier). We are still quite low on the capacity utilization
scale, although it is starting to turn up.

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/tcu_er.png

By this graph, it would seem that employment should start picking
up within a year. I think this is the basis for so many economists
over-optimistic estimates of employment during the past several months.
However, I don't think the current economic growth is sustainable. It is
largely fueled by monetary and fiscal stimulus, which are in turn fueled
by a heavy inflow of foreign investment and record current account
deficits. If brisk GDP growth does not continue, then the capacity
utilization will not go up and employment will not grow much. Time will
tell. My predictions are on record, so we shall see how I did, in time.

Anyone else want to make any competing predictions? This could be
interesting...

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/