At 05:22 PM 3/21/2004 -0800 Doug Pensinger wrote:
>The Bush administration now has an old-fashioned credibility gap. If
>numbers are released saying that the economy is perking up, why should
>anyone believe them?

Because statistical numbers are produced by career civil servants at the
Bureau of Labor Statistics and Bureau of Economic Analysis.....   It is
positively shameful for Mr. Alter to impugn the integrity of these numbers
on no stronger basis than his own hack partisan ravings.

>After all, it counts hamburger flippers as
>manufacturing jobs.

Speaking of credibility gaps, the above statement is patently false.   Why
whould we believe anything Jonathan Alter has to say?

>The context of the election only magnifies the issue.
>New Bush ads charge that Kerry wants to raise taxes by $900 billion. This
>is a made-up number; Kerry has no such proposal.

So, in other words, Mr. Alter believes that Kerry's proposal is simply to
increase the budget deficit by $900 billion - a nearly 150% increase in the
deficit?   Uh huh.....   What was that about credibility again?

JDG - Hack Job, Maru