> Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snippage>
> http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4571136/
> Medicare is a clearer
> example of dishonesty and corruption at high levels

> ...But the most shocking deception
> took place in the run-up to the signing of the
> Medicare prescription-drug benefit on Christmas Eve.
>
> ...The bill was
> priced at the time at $400 billion over 10 years.
> After the deed was done
> (the specifics of which amounted to a huge giveaway
> to the pharmaceutical
> and health-care industries), it came out that the
> real cost will be at
> least $551.5 billion—a difference of $150-plus
> billion that will translate
> into trillions over time. Now we learn that the Bush
> administration knew
> the truth beforehand and squelched it. Rick Foster,
> the chief actuary for
> Medicare, says he was told he would be fired if he
> passed along the higher estimates to Congress...

This is going to be a disgrace (as well as a
health-care disaster) if it is not redressed.  While
drug companies ought to make a tidy profit, the public
should strenuously object to paying for their
aggressive and misleading advertising -- IIRC from
prior discussions/cites, money budgeted to R&D was
roughly 16%, while over 30% was spent on advertising.
Public health would be better served by getting people
off their gluteus maximae and cutting down on their
massive over-eating.  I can't give you a figure on how
much of the drug budget goes to antihypertensives,
heart medications, diabetes drugs, stroke therapy, and
treatment of obesity-related cancers, but these
conditions are among the top seven causes of death in
the US (2000).

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/83/97784.htm?printing=true
"Over the next decade, America's unhealthy lifestyle
is expected to cause more premature deaths than
smoking, a new report shows.  "We believe diet,
inactivity, and obesity -- that constellation - will
be the leading cause of death if things don't change,"
says study researcher James S. Marks, MD, MPH, a CDC
epidemiologist..."With sedentary lifestyle and
obesity, we see higher rates of hypertension and
diabetes, which are risk factors for stroke or heart
attack," says Joseph Miller, MD, a preventive
cardiologist with Emory University School of Medicine
in Atlanta..."

Debbi
Beads And Rattles Maru