At 10:10 PM 4/12/04, Tom Beck wrote:
Since I didn't get to see it (I don't get that here, and besides, I
got home from class about the time you wrote your message, it looks
like) what was said?

I didn't see much of it, and I don't remember specifics. Some guy from something called Conscience International was on talking about the wrongness of putting American soldiers at risk.

Was he against all wars, or just the current action in Iraq? Did he give any specific reasons that you recall for being against the current action in the time that you watched?

Throughout, Hannity was
smirking like some wise old person listening to an idiot prattle on,
clearly  not listening to a word the guy said. Then he spoke, like a
sage dealing with childish, foolish savages, saying something like in a
war against terrorism, some people are going to have to fight and die.
At that point I turned off (I was only watching during a commercial
break in something else I had been watching). But for the right wing,
it's always someone else who fights and dies; it wasn't and it isn't
ever them.

A question for all the members or former members of the military on the list: do you consider yourself more "right" or "left" wing? My own experience in the military suggests that for the most part professional military members tend to be more "conservative" than "liberal," though it frequently seems that those labels are so abused that they are almost meaningless. Thus my feeling is that in the current volunteer military service we have in the US, most of the people who sign up, and particularly those who stay in, probably represent the "right" wing more than the "left" wing. (If anyone can show me that I may be wrong in this feeling, I would appreciate being corrected.)

And I know that by itself does not necessarily invalidate
the policy of fighting or the fighting itself. But a bit of humility is
in order for people who have never themselves been in harm's way. For
Sean Hannity

Anyone know if Sean Hannity is a veteran? (I have no idea.) FWIW, I occasionally hear some of Sean Hannity's radio program while on the way to class (the alternatives at that hour being a couple of local sports call-in shows) but I would not necessarily consider myself a "fan": I don't think I've ever listened to his show when I'm at home, frex.

to assume such an air of superiority over people objecting
to the war when he himself is 10,000 miles away from it is sickening.
For all these right wing chickenhawks to berate anyone who objects to
the war is disgusting.

I personally don't berate everyone who objects to the war. Some objections are quite legitimate. Others, though. do seem (to me, at least) to simply boil down to a intense dislike of the fact that GWB is in the White House, and those objections I tend to find less credible.

Especially when the war in Iraq is a distraction
from fighting terrorism and may even be contributing to an increase in
terrorism.

Supporting the war is one thing. But don't lie about it and don't
attack the motives of those who oppose it. For one thing, it's not
going so well that opposition is clearly wrong-headed. And a lot of the
problems we're facing were foreseen by many of the opponents but were
ignored or dismissed by the Rumsfeld-Cheney-Safire drumbeaters.

Tom Beck

my LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tomfodw/

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never thought I'd
see the last." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle

-- Ronn! :)

Probably right of center, definitely former military (USAF officer)