--- JDG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 09:10 PM 4/11/2004 -0400 John Garcia wrote:
> >I wonder how many were suicides. There have been
> some 21 suicides in
> >units stationed in Iraq over the past year.
>
> Which with what, @150,000 troops in Iraq would be
> 0.014%.    Is that close
> to the US population average?
>
> JDG

I believe it is slightly above the overall US
population average and slightly below the rate for men
18-25, who make up the majority of US soldiers
stationed in the region.  I believe that there is some
evidence that the easy availability of lethal
instruments (guns, prescription drugs) makes suicide
more likely, which would suggest that being deployed
to Iraq may actually _cut_ the suicide rate.  I
wouldn't swear to it, but I believe the suicide rate
among American soldiers in Iraq is lower than that
currently in the German army.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]