From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Da Vinci: Inventor of Car?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:20:22 -0500

To be fair, Leonardo did design the device, as opposed to Niven just describing his hulls. And it is possible that one was actually built by Leonardo.

I was under the impression that it was just a design and nothing more. AFAIK, Leonardo lacked the patience to carry through with most of his schemes. My information however, may be outdated.

I recall that some of Leonardo's designs have actually been built and
that they worked. IIRC a pump is the best example.

Didn't hear about that one. Although I know that he designed (get a load of this!), a primitive battle-tank, semiautomatic weapons, stink bombs (to be fired by catapult), diving suits with snorkels, several flying machines, the first known design for a parachute, a primitive helicopter, and believe it or not, an articulated chain similar to a modern bicycle chain.

How far do you have to take an idea along the road to a finished product before it could be considered an "invention"?

xponent
A Question Of Degrees Maru
rob

I agree Rob. And as far as I'm concerned, if he drafted those designs then he invented them. My interpretation of 'inventing' something doesn't have to include even a prototype, let alone a finished model.

-Travis