----- Original Message -----
From: "Gautam Mukunda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: More on the environmental movement

> There's a huge difference between legislating against
> McDonald's hamburgers and keeping kids from going
> blind, Debbi.

But, the example that Debbie gave was

" folate enrichment of various cereal/grain products".

I'd argue that this is closer to preventing blindness than legislating
against McDonald's hamburgers.  I'll agree its not nearly as important as
the examples you gave, but it is an easy means to improve nutrition without
restricting free choices of people.

It seems to me that the third world examples you gave are critical  and
important; the McDonalds example is foolish, and Debbie's example is a
fairly easy change like iodized salt.  I would guess Debbie would agree
with this, and I'd be curious to see if/why you might conder enrichment as
an example of a "nanny state."

Dan M.