> Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Deborah Harrell wrote:

> > Hmm, I confess that I didn't keep looking for
> > information on instant cocoa after the last list
> > discussion, but came across this today:
> >
> > http://my.webmd.com/content/article/87/99509.htm
> > "...And none of the instant cocoa mixes in the
> local
> > grocery store contain the flavonoids that improve
> > blood vessel function..."

> Hearsay. They give no references. The instant cocoa
> mixes I've seen
> usually contain "cocoa processed with alkali". The
> Hershey's baking
> cocoa tins say they contain "cocoa". If the instant
> mixes lack flavonoids...Why would that be? The
"dutch
> processed" cocoa
> (i.e., cocoa treated with an alkalizing agent such
> as baking soda)
> supposedly tastes less bitter than untreated cocoa.
> Maybe there is a
> difference, maybe the dutch processing that reduces
> the bitterness
> removes some flavonoids (damn Dutch!)? It would be
> nice if the article
> gave references instead of hearsay.

Alkalizing cocoa does degrade at least some of the
beneficial compounds:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11879061
"Cocoa flavanols and procyanidins possess wide-ranging
biological activities...When incubated in simulated
intestinal juice or at alkaline pH, all four compounds
degraded almost completely within several hours. These
results suggest that the amount, and type, of
flavanols and procyanidins in the gastrointestinal
tract following the consumption of cocoa can be
influenced by the stability of these compounds in both
acidic and alkaline environments."

Acidic conditions can have a variable effect:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12537465
"...[flavanols and procyanidins] are relatively stable
at pH 5.0. The present study investigated the effects
of ascorbic and citric acid on the stability of
monomers and dimers in simulated intestinal juice (pH
8.5) and in sodium phosphate buffer (pH 7.4). The
addition of ascorbic acid to the incubation mixture
significantly increased the stability of the monomers
and dimers, whereas the addition of citric acid
provided no protective effects...The present results,
although not directly transferable to in vivo
conditions, suggest that ascorbic acid may stabilize
cocoa flavanols and procyanidins in the intestine
where the pH is neutral, or alkaline, before
absorption."

[Note that both are in vitro, not in vivo studies.]

So your own mix with non-dutched cocoa is likely to
have more flavanoids.

Debbi
Does The Good Cocoa Offset The Cream And Rum? Maru  ;)