> Sonja van Baardwijk-Holten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

<snippage>
> Situation is still very strict here, but there are
> many shades of the
> religious. Refusing vaccination on grounds of
> religious believes is
> allowed and still very much an issue. There have
> been numerous studies
> to see if there is enough vaccination percentage
> (even in the very
> religious reformed regions) in the country to keep
> the vaccination
> program effective. So far it hasn't been a problem
> so the attitude is relaxed.

Herd immunity...I forget precisely what percentage of
vaccination will preserve herd immunity...I'm thinking
somewhere in the 65-75% range, but ought to look that
up at some point.

> The only exception to this is polio vaccinations. I
> believe that the
> religious have backed down on that.

Here they changed polio vaccination requirements,
several years ago, to the dead (injected) variety as:
1) Outbreaks due to wild-type virus are extremely
rare.
2) More cases of rare vaccine-induced polio (from the
live-but-attenuated oral vaccine) occurred than any
naturally-aquired cases (almost always in children
with some type of immune defect; because of the oral
vaccine being live, a young child given it would
usually pass the vaccine virus on to the household,
unless hygeine was very exact {fecal-oral route of
transmission}, so a sibling being frex treated for
cancer could develop paralytic disease even from the
attenuated virus).

I think that the WHO is hopeful of eradicating
wild-type polio virus world-wide, within the next
decade (but I'd have to look that up to be certain
too!).

Debbi
Not My Generation Maru   ;)