On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:27:54 +0100, William T Goodall
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2004, at 8:05 pm, Bryon Daly wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'm wrong, but as I see it, the question is whether everything a
> > person does, are all choices made purely a function of his biology,
> > society, environment, etc,
>
> Isn't this
>
> > or is it real choice?
>
> the same as that? Why do you think there are two different things?

My intention was to distinguish the two (though I cannot say which is correct):

The former is basically asserting that all decisions we make are
essentially the inevitable result of our circumstances and thus IMHO
not really free choices at all any more than a ball in a pachinko game
is making choices in its path.  In other words, following this to its
extreme, we are essentially automata in a hyper-complex game of Life
(the computer one, not the board game), just following our predestined
roles.

The latter was basically intended to mean "free will" as I would
consider it: somehow we are more than the sum of our inputs and a
decision a person makes is an actual decision and not just the
inevitable response given the person's biology, history, environment,
etc.

I prefer to think its the latter case, though as Doug has pointed out,
even if it's the former, the complexity is such that it's
indistinguishable from the latter.

As we've already seen here, though, the definition of free will is
quite up for debate which makes the question of whether it exists that
much more foggy.