On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 10:10:28AM -0500, Dan Minette wrote:

> But, where are the data that support it?  With all due respect, I
> think one of the ways we differ is that I tend to look to data more
> than you do; while you develop thought experiments.  The reason I
> prefer data over thought experiments is that one can check one's
> own thinking with data better than one can check it with a thought
> experiment...which usually turns out just as expected. :-)

I'll remind you of this the next time discussion of god comes up.

> Heck, contrast this to Europe.  In the Netherlands, the
> anti-immigration party obtained a good percentage of the vote.
> IIRC, they fell prey to internal strife, not a general rejection of
> their principals.  Look at Europe on the whole.  The big test of
> multiculturalism for the EU will be the admission of Turkey to the EU.
> My reading of the situation is that Turkey has two chances: slim and
> none, with slim about to walk out the door.

Here's some data from the CIA World Factbook (numbers are 2004
estimated)

-----------------------------------
                2004 Net Migration
Country         per 1000 population
===================================
Canada          +5.96
Ireland         +4.99
Switzerland     +4.05
Australia       +3.98
United States   +3.41
Netherlands     +2.91
United Kingdom  +2.19
Germany         +2.18
Italy           +2.07
Russia          +1.02
Spain           +0.99
Israel          +0.68
France          +0.66
Bosnia and
  Herzegovina   +0.31
Indonesia        0
Turkey           0
Rwanda           0
Sudan           -0.02
Brazil          -0.03
India           -0.07
South Africa    -0.29
China           -0.4
Poland          -0.49
Iran            -0.84
Serbia and
  Montenegro    -1.33
Cuba            -1.58
Saudi Arabia    -2.71
Mexico          -4.87

I'm not sure how useful this data is by itself for determining how
"immigrant friendly" a country is. For example, I guess Mexico and Saudi
Arabia have large outflows not so much because immigrants don't want
to live there, but mainly because NOBODY wants to live there. Also,
immigration is obviously restricted in most places.

Still, I think it is interesting that US and Netherlands are quite
close. Spain and France are quite low for European countries.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/