On Sep 18, 2004, at 8:23 AM, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/09/17/light.antenna.reut/ index.html

[from the article]

They say the device, using tiny carbon nanotubes, might serve as the
basis for an optical television or for converting solar energy into
electricity once properly developed.

The latter I can see but maybe I'm being a huge doof in saying "Optical television? How?" -- I'd think atmospheric scatter alone would be enough to hose a signal over any appreciable distance. Which is why we use radio now.

And maybe I'm being equally big a doof in saying "I thought we already had ways to convert solar power to electricity; how is this superior?"

Has anyone come across any deeper links than this one? News glosses can be frustrating to glean information from... :\

--
Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
http://books.nightwares.com/