http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/09/17/light.antenna.reut/index.html

>> Researchers said on Friday they have invented an antenna that
>> captures visible light in much the same way that radio antennas
>> capture radio waves.
>> They say the device, using tiny carbon nanotubes, might serve as
the
>> basis for an optical television or for converting solar energy into
>> electricity once properly developed.
>>
>> Radio and television signals are captured using antennas close to
the
>> size of the wavelength of broadcast radiation. These are often huge
>> -- thus the need for tall antennas.
>>
>> In a receiver, the wave excites electrons into meaningful currents,
>> which are amplified and tuned to carry sound and pictures.
>>
>> But light is carried by photons --
>

>> tiny packages that have the
>> properties of waves and particles.
>
> So are radio waves. :-)  Radio waves have longer wavelengths, lower
> freqencies, and less energy per photon than do light waves.

I'm pretty sure everyone here recognises that without having to be
told.<G>
What I find interesting is that scientists has finally achieved
something that nature did a billion years ago.<G>
(Don't get all pedantic on me<G>)

>> They are visible because cells in
>> the eye capture them, but no one had been able to make a device
small
>> enough to act as an antenna.
>

>> Yang Wang and colleagues at Boston College used carbon nanotubes,
>> which are microscopic structures built out of carbon atoms.
>>
>> The tubes are aligned randomly.
>>
>> The light excites miniature electrical currents, they write in the
>> latest issue of the journal Applied Physics Letters.
>>
>> A visible-light antenna might work by receiving a television signal
>> superimposed onto a laser beam sent down an optical fiber, the
>> researchers said.
>>
>> This technology may improve the efficiency and quality of
television
>> signals.
>>
>> Or it could be used as the basis of an efficient solar energy
device
>> that turns incoming light into an electrical charge to be stored in
>> capacitor, they said.
>
> Sigh, violating conservation of both energy and charge. I think I
> know what actually was done, but this was _very_ poorly written.

True, but it had to be written so that people who shop at WalMart
could understand it.
<G>

xponent
Need To Find The Cartier Version Maru